OUGD503: Research into The Stowawayz Live Brief

by Roxxie Blackham on Tuesday 3 December 2013

The Brief:

The Stowawayz are a contemporary acoustic band, situated in Oxfordshire. The band consists of two teenage girls, playing guitar, ukulele and singing. The band currently perform covers of existing songs, but are planning on writing their own music in the next few years.

The brief is to create a logo that represents The Stowawayz' music that can be applied to business cards and social networking sites.

Considerations:
- The logo needs to follow a nautical theme
- Use of one or two colours in the scheme
- Use of an image that represents the music they play
- Consider the fact that the logo will be printed as well as used online

Research into existing business cards:



I really love how the edges of these business cards are green - this helps to make them stand out from other business cards, and reflects on the overall colour scheme.


I found this business card design interesting, due to the vintage feel to the card (with the framed, scripted lettering, and patterned borders). I also really love the colour scheme of a blues plus stock colour. The entire design looks really elegant and feminine.


I don't particularly like these business cards, but I was interested in the swirly pattern on the back of the card. It reminded me of phone lines and lost looks like the letter L.


I looked at Abbas' business cards, once again for the coloured edges on his cards. I really love this idea, but I'm not entirely sure how you go about doing it.. This could look really nice with textured stock.


I thought that these business cards reflected the design styles of Isabelle Mascetti really well as it featured patterns from her work. This also meant that she wasn't giving out the same business card to everyone!


I really love the vintage style to these business cards and the use of the pictured borders around the typography.


I really like the simplicity and use of colour in these business card designs. I like how the lines of colour are visible down the edges of the business cards. 


Once again, I found the coloured edges of the business cards really interesting. I think the colour red is bold enough to help make the cards stand out, especially against the textured, white stock.


I think that the complete simplicity of this design works really well, especially with such a minimal logo design in the centre of the business card. It also helps to showcase the style of work that this Graphic Designer will produce.


I looked at this business card, because of the little boat logo that they've placed on there - it made me think of nautical design styles and how we could make a sailor theme logo for the Stowawayz's business cards. I was also enthused by the coloured edges of the cards.

Research into existing nautical designs:


I really love the animated and hand-rendered style to these nautical designs. I think the colour schemes also help to reflect the sea and sailors. 


I really love how typographic this packaging is for Young's salmon. I think that each typeface has been chosen really well, as they're very nautical and sailor themed. I love how the stock looks a bit like paper used to wrap fish and chips, and the pictograms are suitable and reflective of the theme.


I love the simplicity of this nautical illustration. The fact that it is just simply lifework makes it simple, clear and concise. This also means that it works really well with one colour, which means that it isn't too "in your face" and is pleasing to the eye. I've also noticed that it's really symmetrical!


The use of an anchor works really well as a shape to work around with typography. I think this logotype would also suit being printed onto materials, for example t-shirts.


I love this illustration/print. The nautical theme has been produced really well - the typefaces chosen are really effective and help to bring the design together. I also love the colour scheme, especially the blues and blacks.


I think that nautical illustrations work really well when they're printed. They also seem to follow a particular design style, with simple vector lined illustrations, printed in very few colours.


I really love the vintage sailor style to this logotype. This is exactly what I was thinking of producing when it comes to designing a logo for the business cards for The Stowawayz. I also love the use of colour and simple anchor and rope illustrations within the logo.


Even though this logo reminds me more of a surf shack or cafe on the beach, I think that it works really well. I love how "curvy" and happy the design feels - you straight away think of going to the beach and sitting in the sunshine when you look at it. I think the colour scheme works really well, and the typeface helps to make the design cute and charming.

Leave your comment