OUGD503: Design Responsive - Secondary Research on Valentine's Day Card Live Brief

by Roxxie Blackham on Saturday 11 January 2014


I quite liked the idea of making a love heart out of typography, and thought that this was really effective and could work really well on a Valentine's Day card.


I've recently produced quite a few typographic cards, so thought I'd look into some typography that was similar to what I produce to see how I could make it look right for a Valentine's Day card. I loved the above design, because it's really similar to typography that I love to render.


I found the typography on this card design really pretty and girly and well rendered, however I didn't really like the rest of the design around it.


I thought parts of these designs were really cute and effective. I like the colour scheme and the simple typography as they compliment one another and work well together.


I looked at this card design, because I found it really amusing and thought that it was quite a silly card, although it would only be popular amongst typographers and designers.


I thought that the typographic skill was really interesting on this design, and really appreciate the time and effort that would have gone into creating the letterforms! It's quite a cheesy saying 'let's make out' but I think it really works well!


This caught my attention as it looks like it has been foiled onto the paper, which looks really pretty and makes the design seem luxurious.


I loved this print when I saw it, because of the simplicity and colour scheme. It also helped make me think of my final design idea, as I started thinking about drawing sweets and love heart candy.


Initially I thought about drawing lots of haribo love hearts, but I wanted to include typography somehow...

Then it clicked! Love Hearts sweets!!!





I love the simplicity of Love Hearts and how recognisable they are with everybody that comes across them. I decided that they would be a good base to start with for my design, so I chose to focus on the sweets that say 'I LOVE YOU' on them, as I thought that they would work really well for the card design.

Leave your comment