OUGD601: Primary Research & Signage Inspiration

by Roxxie Blackham on Thursday 11 December 2014

Whilst out and about I photographed anything that could influence my design decisions, as well as a bit of primary research into the local pubs and market stalls in Leeds to help make my decision for what I was going to produce for my practical work..

I really like the Victorian feel to the Victorian Quarter in Leeds, and the typefaces on the shop facia are interesting.



I also noticed some signs painted on a Street Food building..


I quite liked the carnival aesthetic of these signs..


Having a look at pub typography, I noticed it's always very ornate and fluid..


A lot of gold is used..







I liked these signs at the Packhorse as they looked traditional.




Whitelocks has recently gone through some modernised branding, but still holds traditional aesthetics throughout the pub..










I noticed a Marks and Spencer stall in Leeds Market, which I thought was quite ironic as they tried to make themselves look old, when they're not a very old company..





Had a look at some other market stall fascia..


There was a bit of hand painted lettering in Trinity Kitchen..


I like the vintage feel to the type at Everyman Cinema..


The typeface used for Carlucci's is very scripted and elegant..


There was a little hand painted stall at Cielo Blanco..



The new Byron Burgors have used gilding in their windows, which is unusual, as most places use gold vinyl to try and pull off the gilding aesthetics, but on closer inspection I noticed that Byron Burgers have actually hired a gilder to produce the window displays..



They even had a hand painted menu inside the building..



I found this trip around Leeds really useful, as it gave me a bit more of an insight into the types of signage that are used commercially within pubs and in the market square.

From this trip, I have decided to produce a sign for Whitelocks pub, as it reaches 300 years old in 2015, which is a perfect time to commemorate the pub and produce a piece for them!
I have emailed the owner, to see if they would be interested in having something produced for their 300th birthday, which also means that I can photograph the final product in context.

I really liked the traditional feel to the design of this rose sticker.


I love the typography on this building in Banbury. It used to be a ghost sign (all worn out and hardly visible, just left over paint from years ago when it was first painted) but has recently been renovated and looks so good on the old building! Funnily enough the place doesn't sell coal, cake, etc anymore, it's actually an estate agents..


I found looking around for typography and signage really inspiring, as I started to notice a lot of particular aesthetics that I enjoyed and it's definitely encouraged me to get on with my practical work!

Leave your comment