OUGD403: Research Into The Human Anatomy

by Roxxie Blackham on Tuesday 2 October 2012

Looking at the intricate and detailed structure of the inside of the human veins and arteries is quite engaging.  I think it's interesting to see the cells and how the veins fit together to work. Could this structure be used in my typefaces?




I love the drawings of the human anatomy and how detailed and perfect they all look. I think muscles are really interesting to look at. The redish orange colours used in most of the illustrations are really effective and make the muscles look more realistic.

I really like this illustration and how the drawings themselves are in black and white, but the background has a bit of colour put into it! I like how different parts have been drawn with different media - pencils, biros, fine liners. It looks really good as a whole, but I don't think it would be quite as effective if the drawings were all seperated.

I love this simple illustration of human capillaries. I think the colours look really nice an work well together. I also really like how long, thin and spindly capillaries look, and their fragility. I think a series of fragile looking letters made up of capillaries would be really striking.

I think the detailed illustrations in Gray's Anatomy are extremely fascinating to look at. I love how much detail and time has obviously been put into each illustration and how every part, muscle, vein, etc has been identified and named.

I'm not completely sure what the above image is trying to represent - something along the idea of millions of little veins and capillaries in the human body? However, I really like the image and think a typeface could work really well with this kind of pattern either incorporated into the letter or creating the letter itself.

I think that teeth would be a good area to study and make letter forms out of, as the roots of the teeth tend to look like different letters naturally, for example the top right teeth in the above image look like the letter W.



I really love looking at veins in the human body. I think that creating really intricate and detailed letters including veins, arteries and capillaries could look really effective and interesting.

Leave your comment