OUGD503: Research For Type Triathlon Brief

by Roxxie Blackham on Wednesday 12 February 2014


Brief
To create a hand-rendered typographic design piece using serif, sans serif and script lettering.
The final design must include a photograph as the background and submitted on instagram..

When it came to researching for this brief, I had a look at submissions for the contest last year, as well as submissions that were from this year's competition (you could view what other people had created on instagram during the time period)



I noticed that a lot of the photography used in the background wasn't always relevant to the quote or typography.


I quite liked it when designs were using photos to incorporate their typography - so using this photo as a dividing line..



A lot of the time the submitted designs reminded me of something you'd find on tumblr and seemed to be made to look pretty, rather than with a purpose or idea behind them..



I really loved this submission, because of how detailed the typography was within the word "wanda". Although, I'm not really that sure as to whether the background is considered a photograph or not..



I thought that this University of Wisconsin design seemed a bit cheesy and not that well thought out. I didn't really like the furniture used, as it didn't serve much purpose, and the layout of the typography seems like the designer just thought "oh, I'll put everything in the centre of the page".. There doesn't seem to be much consideration..





I think that the above design just got a bit too carried away! They didn't really stick to one idea and tried to shove as much typography into the page as possible.. It really annoyed me that they didn't even try to make the "almost always" work, and it just ended up a scruffy mess!


I like the idea behind this submission, as I didn't think about using a quote from a film, and using one from Finding Nemo was quite nostalgic. Although the swirly furniture and quality of the lettering was pretty poor, I really liked the concept and image of Dory.


Even though this design was really complex, it worked well as they had considered layout and you can tell that time was spent perfecting the lettering, unlike previously complex designs!


What I found interesting about this submission was the fact that they chose to use imagery within their lettering to add to the design, rather than just using an image in the background.

Leave your comment