OUGD505: Research Into The Cyrillic Alphabet

by Roxxie Blackham on Tuesday 4 February 2014

I find the cyrillic alphabet that is used in Russia really interesting. It's particularly interesting as I studied Russian at school, so I can actually read and interpret Russian words and letterforms. I think this would be a strength for whatever I decide to design..

Research into cyrillic posters..

I really like this poster design as it looks as though it has been created using a letterpress or even screen printing processes. It's also really interesting as the designer hasn't tried to make any words out of the letters, he's just focused on the aesthetics of the letters themselves and how to emphasise their look.


This poster really reminded me of Bauhaus style letterforms. It really doesn't reflect Russian style at all, yet it works really well! I like the idea of laying all the characters out into a diamond shape.


I found this poster interesting as each word written on it is the russian for the colour that they have then filled the word in with. For example, красные (pronounced krass-noi-ye) means red in Russian and has been made out of different shades of red letters. I thought that this poster was simple, yet fun and effective.


I like this approach to the Russian cyrillic alphabet, as the designer has really enjoyed playing around with the shapes of the letters to see how far he can push the legibility of each of the letters! It's also interesting to see how all the letters can work alongside one another to create something aesthetically pleasing to the eye.


I thought that this poster was clever, as the writing in red is simply each letter of the cyrillic alphabet, and the writing in black tells you exactly what you're looking at. It's also interesting to see how they've singled out particular letters within the cyrillic alphabet and explained characteristics of these letters.


I liked this poster, because of how they've overlaid various letterforms in a form of screen printing, to create a "pretty picture". I think that the choice of curvy letterforms helps to bring the design together and add a sense of continuity.


This series of photos of cyrillic letterforms was interesting, because they're hand-rendered. You don't often see hand-rendered cyrillic letters, so it was nice to see how they worked when produced with calligraphic pens and brushes.

Leave your comment